[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : RE : RE : RE : @DBLookupControls users: call for test

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Thu Dec 15 15:19:23 CET 2011

> >> I will concentrate in the remaining bugs
> >>
> > That's indeed a privilege that comes with developer status...
>
> To be clear here:
>
> It's was not me that made the behavior and was not my intention to
> change it when i started to look at those controls. It's the
> opposite, i
> tried at most not change the behavior. I'm just fixing the bugs, some
> long standing.

That was already understood.

> This is my spare time. And i spent more from my free time than i
> initially think (could not progress my main code project because of
> this). I faced bugs (and tried to fix) in TComboBox in gtk2,
> win32 and
> qt. Developers who tried to debug widgetsets know how hard it
> is and how
> long can take.

We are all spending more spare time than intended on this. Testing,
reporting bugs, debating the solution, creating patches,...

> So the minimum right, or privilege as you say, that i can
> have is choose
> in what to work.

Nobody will deny this. What I'm referring to, and this is not personal, is
that even when the patch or new functionality is provided by a "reporter", a
"developper" has the privilege to not include the patch for whatever reason.
Don't get me wrong. I don't want to (re-)start a flame war on this subject.
Open source isn't democracy. I accept that and I just re-stated, not
contested, the facts.
Perhaps this is a language/communication problem but the "I will concentrate
in the remaining bugs" sounded pretty much as a "case closed". Don't forget
you made a call for test. When the test result reports bugs that are
important for the user and that are simply dismissed for no good reason, the
reporter will perhaps also have the feeling that he is wasting his spare
time ;)

Ludo