[Lazarus] Documentation update (CHM building, lazutils)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Dec 29 21:15:41 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 08:23:57PM +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > What is the plan with this package? Is it a part of the LCL or really an
> > optional component? The LCL docs refers to lazutf8 81 times. If it is just a
> > matter of generating an extra CHM and set up the buildscripts for it, just
> > say so and I'll do it.
>
> Package LCL depends on LCLBase depends on LazUtils.
> LazUtils contains basic stuff like UTF-8 functions and classes, which
> might be useful for non LCL applications too.

lazutils is now a separate package, and lcl references the new lazutils
package. Everything is done and committed, in theory generating CHMs is a
matter of installing dependencies, and then

running fixdocs.sh in the fpcdocs repo

and then running build_html_chm.sh in lazarus/docs/html

The snapshot at http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/doc-chm.zip is updated.

The lazutils package still needs an entry in the help menu though.

> LCLBase contains the platform independent units of the LCL.
> LCL contains the interface code to the widgetset(s).

> All three should get their own docs. LCL+LCLBase can be
> bundled.

I can either separate lcl/lclbase or not, I can't have a logical separation
and still put them in one file:-) At least afaik.

One problem with separation is that currently the lcl doc generation uses a
wildcard in the lcl dir to find units.  If these packages are split, then
there need to be clear registries of which units belong to what package that
the scripts can use.  (to avoid units being member of two packages, or
painful manual synchronization that is constantly out of date)