[Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 08:03:46 CET 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:55:07 -0500, waldo kitty
<wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:

>i recall a time, way back yonder, when i discovered a major bug in the published
>documentation of the Tandy 1000... this was a machine with no HD so it had to
>boot off of a floppy disk in drive A:... after an initial season of selling
>these machines, there was a flurry of people coming in with machines that would
>not boot... careful questioning turned up that they were following the
>documentation exactly as it was written... to whit (and from memory)...
>
>"insert the master boot disk in drive A: and turn on the machine. once it is
>booted, we need to make a backup copy of the master boot disk so that we will
>use the copy instead of the master in case there are problems. type in 'format
>a:' and hit enter. follow the prompts. when the process is finished, reboot the
>machine with the newly made disk"
>
>the problem was that they never told the new machine owner to place a blank
>floppy in the drive! so everyone was formatting their master boot disks! it
>didn't take me long to discover the problem and get it reported to Radio Shack
>headquarters for them to figure out a fix... in the mean time, anyone who called
>or came in with this problem was told to come by the store and they were given
>two sets of boot disks... one to store and one to use... IIRC, i also told them
>to bring their original masters and fixed them so that they contained their
>original contents as well...
>
>as many have found, the devil is in the details... especially the explicit
>details that we, who have been doing this forever, assume that everyone knows
>already :P

Backups are good to have if treated correctly....
Back in the end of the 1970:s I was working at a company devloping
stuff in two different areas, instrumentation and factory automation.
We used Motorola 6800 microprocessors and the development system
(assembler of course) was from Motorola. Big box with two 8" floppt
drives.
The procedure was to always keep backups, so this other automation guy
(I was in instrumentation) had I believe no less than 4 backups.

Anyway he loaded the original and it failed, so he turned to the
backup and it failed. Hmm, next backup but it also failed.
Then he blindly continued to the 3rd backup which of course also
failed.
Finally he actually started thinking and did *not* feed the 4th
backup.
The problem was that the floppy drive was faulty and actually
destroyed the disks!
He got away with it but that was really luck, if he had continued the
work would have been lost.

So backups are fine, but you need to treat them with respect. Normally
they should not be needed for restoration, just as insurance.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden