[Lazarus] Some ideas that he editor in Lazarus can have

ik idokan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 11:56:53 CET 2011

Hi All,

I'll answer here for everything instead of several emails.

First of all thank you for your comments, it's really amazing to see how
many things exists without knowing about them at all (for example I still do
not understand how the new build system and macro's work, but that's a whole
new email :))

Regarding the Syntax highlight coloring, now I fully understand the new
feature of Martin, and I should place my style in a specific directory.
Now we need to add support for external syntax highlight rules (not
coloring) and we can expand it instead of having new pascal unit to be
registered as a syntax highlight.

Error and warning indicator in a side bar:
I've used the compiler define that Martin suggested and it's looks great,
found at the moment one bug logical bug though, it's overlap symbols of
Breakpoint over bookmark if they both on the same line.

 *Error and warning indicator in a side bar.
*Your picture is almost black on black, even if I view it outside the page
(full size) => I can not see anything

I tried to show the structure idea more then the code itself at my screen at
least you still can notice the structure itself including the line numbers
... I guess it's too dark though :(

>Nice, but many of your options don't work properly or don't make sense with
multiple editor windows. At least I prefer multiple editor windows, instead
of the simple all-in-one approach of other development systems.

Well for me at least it's easier to work with one view and many splits of
windows rather then many windows.
Even people at mozilla tried to implement such approach by making search and
"pop up" messages to be inline on the view that makes them, and many copied
it to their browsers and other UI's as well, and it seems very logical thing
imho.

But I'm not sure that I fully understand what will not work on multiple
windows as well ?

>IMO we should get the LCL and IDE work first, before adding features from
other tools.

The LCL and IDE works, not 100% (at least the LCL) but they do work, and If
you read the whole post, I talked about implementing it after v1 .

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 16:11, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> Op 2011-02-03 13:55, Hans-Peter Diettrich het geskryf:
> > with multiple editor windows. At least I prefer multiple editor windows,
> > instead of the simple all-in-one approach of other development systems.
>
> OTOH it would be nice to allow everybody to add such features, based on a
> documentation of the current IDE implementation - and that's the crux, the
> implementation will change every now and then :-(
> I haven’t tried the multiple-editor-window feature yet, neither have I
> tried the ide-docking feature. But I guess, if the latter is working
> correctly, then Ido can simply dock his multiple editor windows in the
> layout he prefers.  Just a thought.

The multiple window editor is not very convenient for me.  I'm using 15"
screen so there is not a lot of room for placing it side by side or one
bellow the other without seeing very little. if you want to place them like
so, you need to tell the window manager to remove the titles and borders for
that, but "split" does exactly that, remove everything that is not required
and make the editor itself viewable with split options to change the view
dimensions.

 I have not yet tried the docking feature of the IDE, but I will try it .

> Regards,
>  - Graeme -
>
> --
> fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
> http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/
>

> --

Again, thank you all for your comments and mostly highlights of the ideas

Ido
LINESIP - Opening the source for communication
http://www.linesip.com
http://www.linesip.co.il