[Lazarus] I am just wondering

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 20:12:29 CET 2011

On Friday, 4 February 2011, Zelimir Ikovic <> wrote:
> It doesnot have to be full conversion but at least some help!
> I have 20000 lines VB6 program and I am not sure how to start.
> Just write all lines again line by line, function by function etc

We had to make the same decision a few years back. One of our VB6 apps
was around 300,000 lines of code. We decided to rather rewrite to app
from scratch using Free Pascal. This gave us the opportunity the learn
from our previous mistakes, do a great design by using true OOP
techniques, Design Patterns and a Object Persistent Framework (tiOPF
in fact). Our new version of the product is now very flexible (easy to
add new features, supports multiple db backends etc.), true cross
platform and a very clean design...plus a lot faster than the VB6
counterpart.

So I would highly recommend a rewrite manually. It is well known fact
that your second or third attempt at a software product is ALWAYS
better that the first.

  - Graeme -