[Lazarus] Some ideas that he editor in Lazarus can have

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Feb 4 20:29:51 CET 2011

On 04/02/2011 19:17, John Stoneham wrote:
> 2011/2/3 Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de <mailto:lazarus at mfriebe.de>>
>
>     Anyway try to compile with -dWithSynOverviewGutter
>     It gives an overview of some elements:
>     - implementation vs interface
>     - the yellow/green changed line indications
>     - position of bookmarks
>     - position of breakpoints
>
>     => It is meant to one day indicate the locations of errors and
>     warnings.....
>

> I compiled with and without this option and didn't notice a
> difference. When a line is changed I get a yellow mark, and it changes
> to green when saved -- but this happens with and without the compile
> option. Bookmarks and breakpoints show the same. However, I don't
> notice anything in the gutter for implementation vs interface at all.
> I compiled with "make clean all OPT="-dWithSynOverviewGutter""
>
> Am I missing something?
With the option, SynEdit presents an overview column, next to the
vertical scrollbar (or on the right side of the edit).
This column represents the entire file, not just the current screen.

> BTW, I cannot find this option mentioned anywhere. Are there others
> that perhaps aren't documented, that might be useful?

No it is not documented. That is, because the feature is still
developed. The API for it (for people using Synedit in their own code)
may still change).

The other options (for SynEdit) that I am aware of, are all either for
debugging (enable various console output), or enable asserts in the code:
SynDebug
SynCaretDebug
SynTrimDebug
SynFoldDebug
SynFoldSaveDebug
SynCheckPaintLock
SynClipboardExceptions
AssertSynMemIndex

None of them are guaranteed to stay as they are.

You may find other IFDEF in the SynEdit code, some of them are left
overs from a time long gone. Using those old ones will likely not even
compile....

Martin