[Lazarus] I am just wondering

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 00:04:05 CET 2011

Zelimir Ikovic schrieb:
> Is there any VB6 to Lazarus translator, and how difficult would be to make one

VB is an OLE wrapper, closer to .NET than to Delphi (VCL) or Lazarus
(LCL). A converter may be feasable, to some degree, but the GUI won't
work with the LCL, so that a very new development environment would be
required (like for fpGUI or mseide...).

Some time ago I made an C to Pascal converter, that might be extended
with VB syntax. But the final converter will be incapable of translating
many VB constructs (OnError...).

Another chance would be a VB front-end for FPC, so that VB modules can
be compiled without a transformation into Pascal before. Currently only
an Oberon front-end is implemented, but the code generation has not been
finished yet - it would require more support by the FPC developers, or a
freeze to a specific FPC version, that can not be kept in sync with the
FPC development.

And last no least there exists a fine tool for converting one language
into another one: TextTransformer <http://www.texttransformer.com/>.
It can be used to transform both VB code and forms into .pas and .lfm
files. The integrated debugger will be very helpful in the
implementation and verification of the VB grammar.

I'm not yet sure about possible problems with importing declarations
from other modules, regardless of which way you want to go.

DoDi