[Lazarus] LCL=Package changes issue

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Feb 10 12:00:09 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 11:55 +0100, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Although the new LCL=package approach is a big step forward, I have the
> > idea that all complaints about the old system, which you can find
> > everywhere, are all addressed. But those parts that were useful for the
> > power-users, who didn't complain, have become a little bit trickier.
> >
> > One thing, for example. I have a package installed which only compiles
> > for gtk2. I use it to design forms (webpages, actually). Now I have an
> > application that depends on this package because of other dependencies,
> > but doesn't really use it. But I compile this application for the
> > 'nogui' widgetset.
> >
> > Now the IDE detects a change in settings (as I understood it right), so
> > recompiles all packages with the settings for the application. Which
> > fails, because my package doesn't compile for 'nogui'.
> >
> > Is there some 'trick' possible to avoid this? Or do I have to split up
> > some packages so it has a design-time and a run-time part? (Making
> > maintenance and installation more difficult for new users?)
>
> You should always do so ? This is also true in Delphi as of version 6.
> I think it is good to force users to separate design and run-time code.
>
> I would even go so far as to forbid the dependency of a run-time package on
> a design-time package if the latter depends on the IDE interface package.

I thought you would say so. I hoped Mattias would respond earlier then
you. ;)

But even in that case: to properly design my project you need this
design-time package. So I want my project to depend on this design-time
package, or else users who open it will not be prompted to install this
design-time package. All they will see are some error messages that the
IDE can not handle the forms.

But now the project depends on the design-time package, so it will try
to compile it with the new settings, so this particular problem is still
not solved.

Joost