[Lazarus] LCL=Package changes issue

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Feb 10 12:53:25 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 12:14 +0100, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 11:55 +0100, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
> >> I would even go so far as to forbid the dependency of a run-time package on
> >> a design-time package if the latter depends on the IDE interface package.
> >
> > I thought you would say so. I hoped Mattias would respond earlier then
> > you. ;)
> >
> > But even in that case: to properly design my project you need this
> > design-time package. So I want my project to depend on this design-time
> > package, or else users who open it will not be prompted to install this
> > design-time package. All they will see are some error messages that the
> > IDE can not handle the forms.
>
> This is also the case in Delphi.

Well, I think that's not user-friendly. If I open a project I would like
to see that the IDE tells me: install this package and it will work.

> I don't see a problem with that, because you should always install the
> design-time package, never a run-time package. The run-time package will
> automatically be compiled when you install the design-time package.

Now you are confusing Lazarus with Delphi. In Lazarus it is impossible
to install a design-time package which depends on a run-time package
without installing the run-time package. So also all run-time packages
have to be installed.

(Note however, that if you use fpmake, you can put the runtime-part in
the fpmake-package, and separately install a designtime-package into
Lazarus. Now in this case I use fpmake, so I can circumvent this
problem. But I'm the only one who uses fpmake this way...
But then remains the problem: how do I tell Lazarus/the user that he
need to install a package when he opens the project?)

> If you stick to this rule, then your "problem situation" will not
> appear at all.

Well, the user will need to know this rule. So when he opens the
project, and the IDE complains that he needs the 'WebDesign' package, he
has to know that he has to install the 'WebDesign-designtime' package,
and not the 'webdesign' package as the IDE tells him to do...

Joost.