[Lazarus] Test the Lazarus fixes_0_9_30 branch

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 16:11:45 CET 2011

2011/2/12 Bernd Kreuss <prof7bit at googlemail.com>:
> On 24.12.2010 10:50, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>
>> Please test the Lazarus 0.9.29 snapshots for regressions compared with
>> Lazarus 0.9.28.2; These Lazarus 0.9.29 snapshots can be considered
>> release candidates for the upcoming Lazarus 0.9.30 release. Report
>> issues in the bug tracker.
>
> When the user visits the lazarus website and clicks on download he will
> be directed to the sourceforge page and find the current stable versions
> there).
>
> How about putting a download of the latest release candidate build (if
> available) right there next to the current stable release into the same
> folder as soon as a new release branch exists?
>
> - sourceforge
>  + ...
>  + ...
>  - windows 32 bits
>    - Lazarus 0.9.30.0-RC3
>    - Lazarus 0.9.28.2
>    + old releases
>  + ...
>  + ...
>
> Or at least make them more prominent on the Snapshots page or even
> create a separate page "Release candidates" or something like that in
> the site navigation between "Download" and "Dayly Snapshots"?

Those are good ideas.

> Also the current terminology with "fixes" and cryptic hidden information
> in the version numbers (even/odd) is extremely confusing, this could be
> communicated much better with more "standard" terminology and the 0.9.30
> RC should not be named 0.9.29 and RC should be labeled as such and not
> "fixes" because "fixes" would imply maintenance of an already released
> branch.

This may be a good idea, if somebody is willing to spent time on
creating separate builds, As it is now, 0.9.29 snapshots are built
automatically costing me no time. If you want to label them
differently, then they will need to build separately. I don't have
time for that.

Vincent