[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Feb 14 20:52:27 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 08:13:45PM +0100, Jos? Mejuto wrote:
> Many people are concerned about "speed" due hidden conversions, so can
> anybody tell me why ? Maybe I'm blind and I can not see something that
> is absolutly a problem (except some pieces of RTL).

Typical example is you mix two codebases which have a different opinion
about the string type. Then for every transition between those two codebases
you have a fair chance that a conversion is needed. It is throughout
possible that if you do an Tstringlist.indexof() that you do as many
conversions as elements in the stringlist (if your passed stringtype is
different from the tstringlist one).

A minimum conversion scheme uses one type internally and only converts at
the bounderies of the system. But even that has worst cases, e.g. like
operating on  large database exports in a different format than native.

But at least that kind of problems is fairly localised. It is harder if it
is everywhere in the codebase, like the former example.