[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:22:33 CET 2011

Op 2011-02-14 21:29, Mattias Gaertner het geskryf:

> Yes, since for example Linux allows non valid UTF-8 as file names,
> so any auto conversion of file names to UTF-16 is an error.

I have never noticed that, plus that seems more like a bug in Linux's
filesystem (whichever one you use - I use JFS only, and haven't noticed
such issues). So maybe file a bug report with the Linux project instead
or working around the issue forever.

> For instance searching needs a lot of compares. Comparing two
> strings normally fails on the very first characters. An auto conversion
> will always convert the whole string including allocating and releasing

You are missing the point. If full Unicode support exists in FPC and
Lazarus - say via the UnicodeString string type, then the encoding of
the search string and the encoding of the text inside the editor will be
the same - thus no conversion needed.

The only exception here will be a "Find in files" under Windows, where
Windows uses UTF-16, but normally files are stored as UTF-8. Though Mac,
Linux and *BSD will not be affected by this as they use UTF-8 pretty
much everywhere.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/