[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 12:04:24 CET 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

> Will will work for 99% all all applications. Only when the developer
> wants to do something specific with a specific encoding, that developer
> can simply define a new string type as follows:
> eg:
>    type
>      MyCP850StringType = UnicodeString(cp850);
>
> That developer can then use that string knowing the encoding is CP850.
> But this would be very seldom needed.

I'm pretty sure that such strings will be widely used, by people that
prefer to use string indexing with a fixed character size.

In any other model there is no use of any char type (except perhaps
UTF32char), instead only (sub)strings should be used in code. IMO it was
a wise decision that Pascal literals make no difference between char and
string literals.

DoDi