[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 07:44:33 CET 2011

Op 2011-02-16 23:15, Marco van de Voort het geskryf:

> There is no unicodestring(...). Ansistring(...) and

I know there currently isn't, but are you also saying that we can't
extend UnicodeString to support UnicodeString(…) syntax? To me,
AnsiString(…) [like is done in Delphi now], makes even less sense.

On a side note:
DON'T bother replying if your answers is going to be the lame excuse
"it's Delphi compatible". Because if I hear that one more time, I'm
really go nuts! :) Just because Delphi is brain-dead, doesn't mean FPC
must also be brain-dead.

I guess the most logical would be String(…) syntax - upgrading the
String type to be encoding aware, similar to what was done when String
was a shortstring and then became a longstring later. Making the String
type encoding-aware would be a natural progression in the language. This
functionality could maybe even be trigger by a new compiler directive,
similar to what {$H+} does, but could be default enabled if compiler
mode objfpc is used. This means FPC would be one-up to Delphi, where we
can toggle the unicode functionality, and Delphi can't.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/