[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 17 12:58:12 CET 2011

Sven Barth schrieb:

>> Hans-Peter also raised a valid point. FPC had a goal to be Delphi 7
>> compatible, so that should leave use open to me inventive and learn from
>> post-Delphi 7 mistake, and make FPC even better than Delphi 7+. If FPC
>> just wants to be a Delphi clone, then why use FPC - just switch to the
>> "real" thing [Delphi]. They'll have cross-platform support soon.
>
> You need to have a Windows to even compile for other platforms... No,
> thank you (and the IDE might not work in Wine, because it's stuffed with
> .NET things).

If we cloned the multi-platform Delphi version(s), then we had to clone
the CLX, not the VCL. New support for other platforms is not yet out, so
we cannot decide right now whether we can or will follow that branch.

IMO the new Unicode versions broke so much legacy code, that FPC/Lazarus
could become a real successor of the last Ansi version, with free choice
of the added Lazarus Unicode handling (UTF-8 for now).

WRT the Delphi IDE: it can be run in a VM, what I prefer for all
commercial/long term projects anyhow. The debugging of cross-platform
applications requires a separate target machine anyhow, so that
virtualization is almost a *must* for the new Delphi versions.

DoDi