[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 16:46:46 CET 2011

John schrieb:

> I suppose if the ansistring type remains, I can do a global replace on
> ALL my code, or redeclare string as ansistring, or something, but I
> don't see why there should not be a compiler switch to do it, seeing
> that that was the way the last string divergence was handled.

String handling code in the libraries, and inside the compiler, deserves
a unique (fixed, default) string representation. The low-level code for
dealing with Ansi encoding can not be exchanged with code dealing with
UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding. That's why a simple recompilation of the RTL
and VCL is impossible, because these deal with strings of immutable
types in many places. At least the resulting code would suffer from
implied string conversions, with the risk of losses, in most library
subroutine calls.

Guess how e.g. a "set of char" is implemented for Unicode...

DoDi