[Lazarus] Portable way to get accurate timestamps?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Feb 24 20:26:49 CET 2011

On 2/24/2011 07:17, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 02/24/2011 12:58 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>
>> It seems like I am out of luck doing this with readily available
>> hardware such as PC:s, notebooks or embedded linux cards running
>> software
> IMHO, the _Hardware_ is not the problem at all, but the OS is.

agreed 100%

i still have some (old) code around here, somewhere, that sets the tics in the
timer chip and then also installs a timer interrupt routine to ensure that the
clock still ticks over at the proper rate... when i was first messing around
with this, my system clock covered several days in minutes :lol:

but yes, this can't be done like it was with today's OS' breaking the boundary
between the hardware and the software... granted, it does make coder's jobs
somewhat easier (because they don't have to deal with the hardware) but not
always like in this case where much finer timing is necessary...

i'm probably going to use the wrong terms here but would it not be possible for
the OP (bo?) to do a "ring 0" "driver" that hooks the timer and possibly adjusts
it to count faster like i mention above? that driver could then feed that data
to his package, couldn't it?