[Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of TwhForm2HTML

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 25 12:33:04 CET 2011

Am 24.02.2011 10:23, schrieb Peter Williams:
> Hi Sven,
>
>  > Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:52:14 +0100
>  > From: pascaldragon at googlemail.com
>  > To: lazarus at lists.lazarus.freepascal.org
>  > Subject: Re: [Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of
> TwhForm2HTML
>  >
>  > Am 23.02.2011 16:06, schrieb Peter Williams:
>  > > Hi All,
>  > >
>  > > I have been working on a project from Delphi 3 from Ann Lynnworth which
>  > > is Delphi form to html conversion tool.
>  > >
>  > > It was written for Ann's company and she has kindly offered it to the
>  > > Lazarus community under this licence (originally commercial I believe):
>  > >
>  > > > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
>  > > >
>  > > > Payment is by donation, at the discretion of any developer.
>  > >
>  > > 1) I have made some progress with the code but I am stuck on how to
>  > > install it as a registered component. Help please. I believe that the
>  > > code exists for adding in it Delphi 3 (in this project)... it is just a
>  > > matter of me using it in Lazarus.
>  > >
>  >
>  > If that component is released as CreateCommons now, where can I find the
>  > (original) source of it? I've looked at the href.com page and haven't
>  > found it yet...
>  >

> At the moment there exists only 2 copies of the source code: (1) Ann
> Lynneworth has the original code with her company; and (2) I have a
> slightly later copy which I have been working on.
>
> The original code is copyright to Ann's company and sold for US$99 and
> was only available by purchasing the software. The new Lazarus version
> will be under the CreativeCommons licence.

Ok, now I understand ^^

> I have found some documented procedures for detecting and calling the
> default web browser which I want to add to the software (probably)
> before releasing it.
>
>  > As I weren't yet able to look at the code I'll have to guess regarding
>  > your problem:
>  > You need to put the component into a Lazarus package (create a new
>  > package and add all units to it). Then you need to mark all units that
>  > contain a Register procedure as such (at the bottom of the package are
>  > two check boxes, one of them is for units with "register" procedures).
>  > Then you need to install this package into the IDE (of course you need
>  > to recompile the IDE then).
>
> Yes, that's basically what I needed to know. I will need to check as
> there *may* already be some Delphi 3 code which does this in the
> component. I expect that there should be.

Delphi only uses a procedure called Register without the need to check
it anywhere. But for registration in the IDE to work you need to have
the unit in a DesignTime package (this is valid for Lazarus as well). In
Lazarus you also must tell which units contain a "Register" procedure,
because Lazarus does not detect that by itself.

> I am not the original author of it. I am however, the second author to
> work on this code, on Ann's behalf.
>
>  >
>  > > 2) We need to set up a repository for this project with TortoiseSVN and
>  > > Windows on my system. I have the code and I would like to be the point
>  > > of contact for alll changes to it.
>  > >
>  >
>  > If it is indeed released as CreativeCommons, what about adding it to the
>  > Lazarus Code and Component Repository on SourceForge?
>
> What is the procedure for doing this?

You should ask one of the Lazarus devs, e.g. Vincent Snijders.

> Ann has nominated CreativeCommons as the licence which is *will* be
> released under, however, it needs to be finished before it should be
> released, in my opinion.
>
> I refer to the change I mentioned above re checking for default browser
> (so as to make it fully cross-platform). This code is document on the
> Lazarus website, so it should not be a big deal once I can work out
> *where* the code needs to be amended/inserted.
>
>  >
>  > > All help will be appreciated. I will post the code when I know how to
>  > > set up a repository.
>  > >
>  > > I have more changes to make, but they will wait until I get some
> answers.

Regards,
Sven