[Lazarus] Portable way to get accurate timestamps?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 00:04:47 CET 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:17:25 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

>On 02/24/2011 12:58 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>
>> It seems like I am out of luck doing this with readily available
>> hardware such as PC:s, notebooks or embedded linux cards running
>> software
>IMHO, the _Hardware_ is not the problem at all, but the OS is. You need
>to use a decent realtime OS (or none) to get msec resolution. There are
>several projects to make Linux more realtime aware. Those that are
>usable for _real_ realtime stuff (i.e. the realtime-processes need to
>meed predefined latency specifications without any exception) use a
>realtime OS below Linux and have Linux run as the lowest priority
>process of same.

That is why I said that I would design a PCB with a MCU on board and
write a program to fix the synching problem that way. A PIC processor
with an UART and a few I/O pins to read the PPS pulse and NMEA data
from the GPS 18x LVC is what is needed.
No operating system at all in this board....

I need close to millisecond timing.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden