[Lazarus] Causing bluescreen on windows by move() procedure

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Feb 26 15:42:06 CET 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Bo Berglund wrote:

> My question here though is:
> How can a user level program do this?
> I would have expected an access violation that would have thrown out
> the program but not a repeatable bluescreen.

Why not ?
It can invoke a hardware driver function, and that can cause the blue screen.

> The main difference between the two programs is that the mistakenly
> started program uses a not yet ready buffer class where a dynamically
> sized byte array is used as a buffer and data are moved using the Move
> function.

The program itself is probably not the cause, but the hardware driver.
By their very nature, they are less "checked" by windows.

> In all of my programming with Delphi I have never managed to make a
> programming error that consistently bluescreens the PC.

I can reliably do this with wireless connections on my laptop.
Just start the wireless, and then open mozilla firefox or IE.
BS guaranteed.

Michael.