[Lazarus] New component - Delphi Form to HTML Converter (F2H) component

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 28 11:06:16 CET 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM,  <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:
>> It follows a wrong approach. It's nice for a quick&dirty conversion,
>> but not suitable for a long-term design solution.
>
> I think a IntraWeb equivalent for Lazarus would be very useful for
> many projects where cheap and fast development is more important then
> the performance of the final result. Not every website receives
> millions of hits per day.

The main point is not in performance (although I think that is also a point
to consider).

The point is that with this approach, a GUI is still needed on the server to
create the GUI forms (which are then transformed to HTML). It is the same
problem as Lazreport. Lazreport needs a GUI, when a reporting engine does
not need a GUI at all. It just needs a canvas. The report designer needs a
GUI, but not the report itself. But lazreport needs a GUI in it's deepest
core, and therefore is not suitable in webenvironments.

I am working on alternatives for this - I am even in discussion with someone
to start a group to work on my design - but such things take time if you
want to do it right. And I want to do it right - not these quick&dirty hacks.

Michael.