[Lazarus] No FPC sources on lazarus start....

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 20:24:11 CET 2011

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:10:26 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>David Emerson wrote:
>> Sounds like you installed the compiler part, but not the fpc sources.
>>
>> Try here: http://www.freepascal.org/down/source/sources.var
>>
>> On Mon 3 Jan 2011, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> I installed FPC on Win XP-Pro from the 2.4.2 installer.
>>> Then I retrieved the lazarus sources from SVN.
>>> Then I did make clean all for lazarus.
>>> All this worked OK.
>>>
>>> But now when I start lazarus it complains about missing fpc sources
>>> and it looks like the fpc 2.4.2 does indeed *not* deposit any source
>>> files...
>>> At least I cannot find any in the dir I installed FPC into. All
>>> subfolders there are:
>>> bin
>>> demo
>>> doc
>>> examples
>>> msg
>>> units (which does not contain the sources)
>>>
>>> So no source folder. :-(
>>>
>>> What can I do now?
>
>I don't know whether this is any help and it is oriented towards Linux,
>but I'd add that I normally build FPC from source, in part because doing
>so is a good test that the compiler is working on the machine in
>question. Having done so I do a  make install  and check that the
>symlink in /usr/local/bin is OK, then  make clean and copy the fpcsrc
>directory into the appropriate place in /usr/local/lib (I'm being
>intentionally vague here since this will vary depending on version number).
>
>Having done that, one is left with a consistent tree of binaries and
>source. Start Lazarus with the --pcp= option so that the IDE you're
>running uses a private configuration file that specifies how it can find
>the matching compiler.

I have just downloaded the 2.4.2 source zipfile and now I have the
problem of extracting it to the right location...
My FPC install dir is C:\Programs\fpc\2.4.2\
Where should I put the sources?
In a subdir to this named source?

The zipfile expands to a top folder named fpc-2.4.2, which obviously
is not my install folder name....
And inside there are no subdirs named source or anything like that.

Advice please?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden