[Lazarus] Project conversion Delphi -> FreePascal: success!

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 4 18:05:52 CET 2011

Juha Manninen schrieb:

>     I converted a fair amount of them but when I reached this problem I
>     had a lot to go and gave up.....
>

> Interesting. I don't know Fortran either but it looked like it could map
> directly to Pascal.
> Apparently it does not.

Fortran uses COMMON blocks for data storage, and it's up to the coder to
specify the *intended* structure of every such memory block, in every
module. Typically the structure is different in different modules, in
detail with matrices. This is quite the opposite of Pascal type-safe
declarations - more something like variant records with arbitrary (maybe
same) field names for every variation :-(

Fortran is different from almost every other programming language in
many aspects, so that porting Fortran code to Pascal or even C is near
impossible. Either get an Fortran compiler that can compile the code, or
give up.

DoDi