[Lazarus] What are "widgets" in lazarus?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 5 14:51:02 CET 2011

Am 05.01.2011 14:23, schrieb Bo Berglund:
> So basically a widget set is a definition on what kind of graphics
> environment is used on the target system then?
> What about making a program for Linux? Do we have to compile the same
> program in different versions for different desktop managers on Linux?
> Like one for Gnome, another for KDE and yet another for X???
> Sounds mighty tedious and error prone...

No, normally KDE, which is based on Qt, supports running GTK and GTK2
applications as well. Also Gnome (on Ubuntu) might run Qt applications,
too (at least if the Qt libraries are installed).

I myself use a Linux laptop without Gnome or KDE, but I can run GTK,
GTK2 and Qt applications on it.

There is no pure X widget set in Lazarus, you always need to decide
whether you want to run Qt or GTK2 (GTK is deprecated today). You might
want to read about the two on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28framework%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK+

If you want a Object Pascal GUI framework with as less dependencies as
possible (only X), then I'd suggest you - as Graeme did - fpGUI, but you
need to keep in mind that this isn't VCL compatible like the LCL is.

Regards,
Sven