[Lazarus] Purpose of MouseCapture?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 11:19:13 CET 2011

On 8 January 2011 17:16, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
>> What's the purpose of setting the mouse capture in the LCL?
>
> While nobody seems to know, I found that TSpltter uses mouse capture.

MouseCapture (at least under fpGUI) is also used while the mouse
button is down, eg on a TButton. For example (i think this works under
LCL too). Click a TButton, and hold the mouse button down. Now move
the mouse cursor outside the TButton bounds. The TButton should pop up
(normal state again), and when you hove the mouse over the TButton,
the mouse would be pressed again.

Mouse events normally get delivered only to the window underneath the
mouse. MouseCapture, captures the mouse input and makes sure it gets
delivered to a specific window even if the mouse is over another
window.

  - Graeme -