[Lazarus] What are "widgets" in lazarus?

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jan 10 13:34:11 CET 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2011-01-10 13:12, Michael Schnell het geskryf:
>>
>> I see. Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately a full integration
>> for fpGUI into Lazarus seems like a not easy task,
>
> On the contrary, I think implementing LCL-fpGUI widgetset in Lazarus
> would be the easiest widgetset from the lot (WinAPI, GTK, Qt, Carbon
> etc). Simply because fpGUI is written in Object Pascal too, so you have
> the same types, RTL classes, streaming system etc... Plus, bugfixes can
> be applied to both projects (fpGUI and LCL) at the same time, and
> instantly have the fixes available in LCL-fpGUI at the next time you
> compile your project.

Getting some controls to a more or less working condition will not be difficult.
But going the full 100%, this is another task.

And I believe the latter is precisely the reason you abandoned LCL to start
on fpGUI: the fact that each widgetset is never 100% on par with the others.

When making LCL-fpgui widgets, we'll then be full circle, back on square 1,
with another LCL widgetset almost-but-not-quite finished.

Michael.