[Lazarus] Status of GDB and Lazarus/FPC debugging threaded apps

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Jan 10 16:15:12 CET 2011

On 10/01/2011 15:02, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
>> While debugging threaded apps should be no special at all, it
>> probably still is....
>> And so is 64 bits at current => simply due to the lack of testing it had
>

> I don't understand what the problem is?
>
> I debug 64-apps with lazarus daily ? (admittedly, without threads).

I didn't mean to say that there definitely was one.
Just likelihood is bigger.

not all versions of gdhb seem to like it... At least on windows there
was an issue with the 64bit imagebase. but afaik the very latest gdb
deals with it.

As for testing, several blocking issues where fixed in Lazarus in
Nov/Dec 1010 => many addresses, including some breakpoints where handled
as 32 bits => that must have prevented some features from working. Again
that is fixed....

But all in all Lazarus 32 bit debugging (and gdb too) has been there
much longer than 64 bit => so it had more testing.
I wouldn't be to surprised if there still are 64 bit issues left (but I
don't know of them...)

---
Another issue are 64 bit Macs to all apparence => because Lazarus users
are bound to use 32 bit code, and that seems to be an other source of
problems => or maybe it;'s the special gdb version that apple supplies,
or.....