[Lazarus] Namespace

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Jan 10 20:48:45 CET 2011

On 10/01/2011 18:51, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>> Working with items of the same name, from different locations (units,
>> namespaces), requires qualifications all over. That waste of characters in
>> source code makes code less readable to me.
> Waste of characters? Not really. Write xyz.TFoo is not so different of
> TxyzFoo. There is one char more.
> How I will know all prefixes of all libs in the internet? If I choose
> the prefix "rx", I will have conflicts with RXlib, for example.
> Graeme chose the same prefix the Lazarus did in some classes:
> TfpgXXXX   ("fpg")

Ideas about namespaces have ben collected before....
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Namespaces

But in the end, iirc none of them solves the problem. They just move the
problem to the next level.

And speaking of namespace, keep in mind, that projects are shared too,
if projects refer to namespaces, then those namespace must equal on
every single computer.

So if rxlib would take the namespace "rx" (on top of units), and someone
else did also take that namespace, then you have the same problem....