[Lazarus] What are "widgets" in lazarus?

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Mon Jan 10 19:41:05 CET 2011

 On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:20:47 +0100 (CET),  wrote:

> This is not correct. People do strive to "100% the same everywhere".
> But the "100% the same working on all platforms" is hard to reach,
> and takes time, it is an ambitious target. Rome also wasn't built on
> day.

 I don't think that "100% the same everywhere" is possible or even
 desirable. Take a look at Java SWT. It certainly has a much much bigger
 amount of contributors than Lazarus, being THE backend behind Eclipse.
 Yet it doesn't have half of the features the LCL has (hell, it's really
 a pain doing a serious GUI with it). But even though they limit the
 available widgets, it is STILL not completely identical across all the
 three supported platforms.

 Another point being: is it really THAT important to have it 100% the
 same? A UI that is great on Windows will probably suck in MacOS X. Why?
 Because they have other design guidelines. Sure, it's easier to ship out
 one and the same for all, but I think serious UIs are better designed
 for a specific market, and not run-of-the-mill. That of course also
 depends on the use case. So I think it's fine that there is a choice:
 specialized GUI (frameworks) on the one side, fpGUI on the other side,
 and the LCL in between.