[Lazarus] Lazarus editor font height very small...

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Jan 16 00:28:08 CET 2011

On 15/01/2011 22:14, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 18:02 +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Is Lazarus using a different size unit than Delphi is?
>> I usually set the font to 8 or 10 to get a comfortable view of the
>> code but that does not work at all in Lazarus, here I need to set it
>> to 16 or even 18. What is the reason for this?
>
> I had the same problem under my Linux system. I made a copy of my
> existing profile, to separate the two Lazarus versions. My fonts was
> very small in the editor. Then after I got some more updates my fonts
> were suddenly HUGE, and I had to set the font size back to normal again
> (11pt on my system).
>
> That's Lazarus for you - after an update, you just don't know what you
> are going to get.

Not sure what to make out of this statement?

You upgraded to an Snapshot or SVN version. Not to a release.
I know you have been around more than long enough to read the big fat
statement about snapshots?

> *BEWARE*: These snapshots are generated automatically and are
> untested. The only thing we can say is, that the compiler found the
> source good enough to compile.
> More information about these snapshots can be found on the wiki page
> <http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Snapshots_Downloads> about
> Lazarus snapshots.
> These snapshots are provided as a courtesy only. If they don't work,
> too bad! If they destroy your project files, crash your machine, and
> eat your disk: Tough luck! (just to say that YOU ARE USING COMPLETELY
> UNTESTED SOFTWARE)

I believe a change in font size, is far less severe than "eat your disk"?

So if you had the courtesy to explain what exactly your above statement
tries to tell us?
Did you just forget to mention you were talking about snapshots?

Because I am sure (but I do not have the time to prove it), if I search
your fpgui git repository (argh now I said it GIT => aka "jehova" by
brian) I could somewhere find a revision that had a bug or regression of
some kind? How would you like if I was then telling everyone that your
software is unreliable and all that? (just forgot to mention it wasn't a
release...)

About the font issue, IIRC (!) there was a bug, and the 1st fix had side
effects... well that happens

Oh, and about snapshot vs release => yes releases have bugs too (browse
mantis). But again that is something that applies to every software in
the universe (another unproven statement, but please find me a bug-free
software if you can (one that does more than "hello world")

If you dislike the Lazarus project, or the way it is maintained, then
that is fine. You are free to express this. Some of you post included
valuable critics, and yes some of those never made a difference, for
whatever reason....

But if your purpose is to distribute slander and libel, then all I can
say is that it says a lot about your personality....

Have a nice day.

Regards
Martin