[Lazarus] fpGUI for the LCL on x86 Linux, and standalone on SPARC Solaris 10

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 05:37:35 CET 2011

Paul Breneman wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 09:52 -0500, Paul Breneman wrote:
>>
>>> On ReactOS I see the same problem with the icons on the buttons, but
>>> the open file dialog text is OK.
>>
>> How stable is ReactOS these days? Last time I use it, was over a year
>> ago, and then not all Windows apps functioned correctly either.
>
> I haven't done very much testing.  My main interest is the possibility
> of using it for some embedded stuff.  I don't really care if it runs all
> Windows apps correctly.  It will probably be a *long* time before that
> (if ever) happens.
>
> But if it reliably runs a console app (or a fpGUI, Delphi, or Lazarus
> Win32 app) that would be some good first steps.  After that it probably
> depends on what I/O devices would be needed and how well they are
> supported.
>
> On the ReactOS forums there have been a few discussions (long ago) of
> being able to strip away the GUI.  I think that would be a great option
> but it seems the developers are trying to duplicate NT and they have
> little interest in such an option.

It's worth noting that the ReactOS developers can be... abrupt is the
most charitable word I can use... when dismissing suggestions they
consider without merit. Even if they subsequently adopt something very
similar.

They are obviously in an extremely difficult position though, with MS
probably scrutinising their every move.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk