[Lazarus] fpGUI

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 14:52:53 CET 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 13:24 +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> Is this correct:
> Every line your parser does not understand is put into the "unknown
> settings" and wrote back on write?

Yes, but that is done per component obviously. For example, say I wanted
to set some property that was not visible in the Object Inspector, I
could add it into the "unknown lines" memo, and it will be written to
file in the same code block for that specific component. I mainly set
event handlers using that memo. Then when I am back in the Lazarus
editor, I use code completion to fill in the rest.

I also have a "Unknown Widget" [green square with a question mark in it]
on the component palette (the last icon). So if I have some custom
component that the UI Designer doesn't know about, I simply drop a
Unknown Widget on a form, it prompts me for the class name and component
name. Now I have a component on the form which I can size and position
etc... To set any of its properties, I use the "Unknown lines" memo. I
find this actually very handy.

fpGUI's UI Designer is meant as a "visual forms designer" - nothing
more. It's not an IDE, so I don't want it to generate event handler code
etc. Yet it must not crash on loading a form either, so it can handle
unknown properties or components gracefully.

 - Graeme -