[Lazarus] fpGUI

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Jan 16 19:49:27 CET 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:20:09 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 15:43 +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
> > What about other custom data, that can not be represented as published
> > property?
>
> Could you give an example of such custom data? I guess if I can't create
> some custom property editor for it, I'll simply load it after the last
> comment marker, but still in the AfterCreate method.

For example TStrings.Data.

> > > when you compile your project, any forward declaration will have to be
> > > added in code.
> >
> > That is a big show stopper.
> > A pascal writer for lazarus forms must handle this automatically.
>

> It's not impossible to add, but I think I should reiterate what the
> fpGUI UI Designer was designed to be... Simple. I did not want it to be
> a full blown IDE, so I didn't want it to generate code outside what
> relates to building the UI.

That's ok for your personal needs.
But when discussing pascal stream on this lazarus list, you have to
come up with a solution for common needs. If you think that
storing components as pascal has advantages help to solve the remaining
problems of the pascal streamer and Lazarus will write pascal code.

> When I started fpGUI, there was no ui
> designer, and I had to build a lot of forms by hand - totally
> non-visual. This made me realise quickly I needed something better, but
> still simple because I'm time constrained. For generating all the other
> fancy code - well, that is what CodeTools, Code Completion, Code
> Templates and whatever other fancy features Lazarus IDE has.

One of the fancy features are component editors, allowing to do many
things with a few mouse clicks. The result needs to be streamed
to/from the pascal code.

Mattias