[Lazarus] fpGUI

José Mejuto joshyfun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 12:08:32 CET 2011

Hello Lazarus-List,

Monday, January 17, 2011, 11:28:25 AM, you wrote:

>> What are you talking about?
MS> In fact I don't yet fully understand the two different incarnations of
MS> fpGUI. (Seeming one supported by the Lazarus GUI designer, one coming
MS> with it's own GUI designer) but I'm learning.

There aren't two different ones, only one fpGUI. Lazarus LCL can use
fpGUI as a backend. LCL does not known which engine draws controls, or
how they are being painted, it only request some operations to be
performed and the backend is performing them (fpGUI, Windows, GTK,
...). There is a widgetset glue code API that both, the backend and
the LCL must conform as a common language.

When you are in a conversation with another people of other country
you may need a translator, so in example, you speaking english wish to
talk with smoebody that speak spanish so hire a translator which
speaks both of them so:

You (english) - Translator (English/Spanish) - Other (Spanish)

Or in Lazarus fpGUI terms:

LCL (LCL) - LCLfpGUI (LCL/fpGUI) - fpGUI (fpGUI)

In Windows terms:

LCL (LCL) - LCLWin32 (LCL/Win32) - Win32 (Win32)

In Linux/GTK2 terms:

LCL (LCL) - LCLGTK (LCL/GTK2) - Linux (GTK2)

In Windows/GTK2 terms

LCL (LCL) - LCLGTK2 (LCL/GTK2) - Win32 (GTK2)

In MacOS terms:

LCL (LCL) - LCLCocoa (LCL/Cocoa) - MacOSX (Cocoa)

The man in the middle just translates the requested operations by the
LCL to the desired widgetset.

--
Best regards,
 José