[Lazarus] fpGUI

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jan 17 13:42:05 CET 2011

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2011-01-17 12:58, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be het geskryf:
>>
>> RAD works, if done right.
>
> Fair enough. That then tells me that 99% of the developers using Delphi
> (and probably Lazarus) are doing it wrong - your team being in that 1%
> exception. I'm basing this on my work experience in multiple companies
> over the years. It seems Borland's RAD marketing was so good, most
> developers are now mouse click junkies, and forget to think about design.

Not only Borland. RAD was the word at the beginning of the 90-ies.
VB, WinDev, Forte: you name it. All RAD.

RAD is generally very good for small apps, quickly thrown together.
(less than 20 forms)

But before starting on a large project, think first.
Don't start blindly using RAD.

I said it: Any technology can be abused. This does not mean the technology
is bad.

>> Someone putting more than 50 datasets on a Datamodule is clearly doing
>
> As bad as that screenshot looks, and considering the size and complexity
> of that product, I was incredibly impressed at how stable it was.

No doubt. One does not exclude the other.

Michael.