[Lazarus] fpGUI

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:51:37 CET 2011

On 17/01/2011 10:22, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 01/16/2011 10:34 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Even Lazarus's form designer chokes on differing dpi values.
> What is the dpi value useful for ? If you want to deal with screen dpi, you also need to know the physical  monitor size and the eye-screen distance to do any useful  calculations on it.
>
> -Michael

AFAIK and IIRC, there is means to get that information under Windows/Delphi, some WinAPI calls do it.

And this can matter because in the times of CRT monitors, you'd get situations
like a 150dpi setting on the developers' machine and 72 dpi on customers' machine.
(hint: I was once in a team writing an app for touchscreen POS terminals, with cheap LCD screens).

That information can be fetched from the monitor (provided it has EDID) by the system automatically.

It matters e.g. for a full-screen application that needs to have all its labels in the correct
places when run on different screens, without recompiling.
(not that I particularly love that kind of usage but I can understand where it's come from)

Lukasz