[Lazarus] What is the future of NoGUI widget set?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 12:08:28 CET 2011

Op 2011-01-25 11:58, Mattias Gaertner het geskryf:
> Without the nogui widgetset there would be no lazbuild, because the
> task would be so big, that no one would have started it.

What does lazbuild do that it must require the 'nogui' widgetset? If a
simple 'make' can compile the IDE, or 'fpc @extrafpc.cfg <project-unit>'
can compile any of the fpGUI projects or 'fpmake' could be used to do
exactly the same, then why require lazbuild (or at least it's gui
dependency)?

What Michael and I are saying, the 'nogui' widgetset gives this false
pretence to developers wanting to develop a real console application.
Giving way to much leeway for errors.

> The LCL provides some useful methods for non gui apps too.
> There are plans to split the LCL and IDEIntf into the gui and nongui
> parts.

I would suggest that...or move such code into the FCL or RTL, or simply
take advantage of "Lazarus packages" feature and create a runtime only
(non-gui) package that LCL.lpk (if something like that exists) depends on.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/