[Lazarus] fixes_0_9_30 on Windows NT4 does not build

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 17:30:06 CET 2011

Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 25.01.2011 11:05, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
>> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> Op 2011-01-25 11:29, Vincent Snijders het geskryf:
>>>
>>> I use Win2000 in a VM session for all my Windows testing. I can confirm
>>> that 0.9.30 (fixes branch) does indeed compile and run correctly.
>>
>> I've got NT in a Qemu VM with legacy Delphi and some important comms on
>> it, plus some application servers. Some but probably not all of that
>> could be moved onto W2K, but- as company policy- we're not going near
>> anything that requires activation.
>>

> As it's an NT 4... you could try how good ReactOS performs here. I'm
> aware that it's still Alpha and thus you should handle this with care,
> but it's worth a try (and it costs nothing except time :D ).

The last time I tried ReactOS in Qemu it wouldn't write to any files.
I've seen this behaviour in a very limited number of cases on NT in
Qemu, so I suspect that it's a poor disc (ATAPI etc.) emulation i.e. a
Qemu problem.

And right now I'd far rather put what spare time I've got into testing
FPC/Lazarus and into trying to kick off one or two interesting projects
than trying to debug either ReactOS or Qemu. Particularly in the case of
ReactOS I was extremely unimpressed by the developers' attitude when I
had the temerity to ask a question about the possible direction of the
project.

Of course, if it happened that Lazarus and ReactOS developers found that
they had sufficient in common to be nice to each other then I might
change my mind.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk