[Lazarus] "Select another LCL Widget Set"

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Jan 28 13:26:31 CET 2011

On 01/28/2011 12:20 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Agreed, and I'm wary about having a UI- in particular a GUI- on
> something that should run silently and reliably: far better to have
> two programs.
IMHO, the optimum design is to adhere to the "separation of business
logic and GUI" paradigm (that in fact is not even created with embedded
applications in mind) and do the program in a way that it has a switch
to  compile it with and without the GUI. So at best the version without
the GUI should use an infrastructure ("Interfaced" / "Wideget Set" /
"Platform") that does not force a GUI binding.

> However with Linux it's possible to boot a system with the dummy X
> driver, and it's also possible to run GUI apps in a VNC session which
> in my experience is reliable.
This is exactly what I have been planing regarding the bad luck
regarding any kind of active NoGUI Widget Set.

> I wonder whether I could ask a silly question: is there any feasible
> way that an app using the LCL can "re-skin" itself, i.e. switch to a
> different widget set such as nogui, without restarting?

I don't think so, and I don't see the point. For me the question is
whether an application can start without an interface to a GUI
infrastructure (such as "X") is found in the system.

-Michael