[Lazarus] Problem building today's version

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:03:39 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> "make clean" should at least clean everything that "make all" touches.
> Except for the final executables. There is no need and it won't work
> under windows.

Well... One way to do it right would be to generate a manifest file
for fpmake during make.  This way fpmake can delete all required files
- precisely and cleanly.  The manifest file would contain files with
complete paths.  Then clean would just delete all entries in all
fpmake.mst files.  Each folder could have a mst file.  Just one
idea...  I'm sure about this - but there are tons of ways to do this
precisely.

> Of course if some directories are renamed the old directories are not
> cleaned, but then the other clean commands will not help either.

On make the manifest files could be generated based on unit names.

> Since speed does not matter anymore make clean could be extended to
> clean more.

Exactly.   This problem has happened to me about 3 times in the last 4
months.  I just didn't know the error I encountered was a localized or
project issue.  This time it was a localized problem that could
possibly have been solved if I had deleted all compiled units.  But I
always run clean with my builds so IMO the bug is with the make
process.  I have a similar problem with FPC where I do try to delete
FPC and re-export etc...

The real problem is the disruptive nature when the problem is
not-trivial and non-avoidable.  In this case I didn't delete Lazarus
until I saw that others didn't have the same issue - which only then
did I know where the problem was.

This issue is pretty important to solve.  But this might be the
responsibility of fpc rather than Lazarus.