[Lazarus] DefaultTranslator, LCLGetLanguageIDs and Portuguese language trouble...

Paulo Costa paco at fe.up.pt
Sat Jan 29 19:11:47 CET 2011

On 29/01/2011 15:45, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
>> Brazilian portuguese is very different from "portuguese" portuguese. It's not US-GB difference, mostly about slight spelling variations
>> like colour and color. In Brazil FILE and SCREEN are "arquivo" and "tela"; in Portugal they are "ficheiro" and "ecrã".
>
> That's from old times when people didn't care about keeping the
> language united. Now we have the spelling reform and in wikipedia for
> example there is no pt_PT and pt_BR. The spelling reform also says
> that in the future we should have a common dictionary of preferred
> technical terms.

Not true! While the spelling is unified, the words that we use for each
case are completely different.

Examples:

English  -> Portuguese (European) -> Portuguese (Brazilian)

Application -> Aplicação -> Aplicativo
Desktop publishing -> Edição Electrónica -> Editoração eletrônica
Save -> Gravar -> Salvar
Spreadsheet -> Folha de cálculo -> Planilha eletrônica
Database > Base de dados -> Banco de dados
Mouse -> Rato -> Mouse
etc...

And wikipedia is very lame in having only one "Portuguese" version, many
times it becomes very Brazilian centered...

Paulo Costa