[Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Jan 31 18:15:34 CET 2011

Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> hat am 31. Januar 2011 um 17:27 geschrieben:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:30:08 +0100 (CET), Mattias Gaertner
> <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> >Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> hat am 31. Januar 2011 um 16:06
> >geschrieben:
> >
> >>[..]
> >> Hmmpf... After checking out lazarus there is no IDE to run, right?
> >> So I cannot use any IDE dialog to specify a better way of compiling
> >> since as yet there is no lazarus.exe to start....
> >You can compile Lazarus from scratch with "make".
>
> If you had read the conversation where this comment was made you'd
> have seen that:
> 1) I had used make clean all already
> 2) Andreas had stated that using make would not build the packages and
> hence I should use the built-in compile instead, which of course is
> not possible following an svn checkout...
If you install from scratch you have to build level after level. First use
'make' to get the basic IDE/lazbuild then use that to build an extended IDE.
Because the last step can compile third party packages the Lazarus Team can not
guarantee it will work, although in 99 of 100 cases it works, so that some
people think the lazarus devels should enable it by default.

> >> OK, but I don't even know what it is.
> >Well, if you as developer do not know, how should the IDE know?
>
> And this is also a rather odd comment since apparently this package
> was installed by *default* in earlier versions of lazarus and has now
> been removed from the sources (by the developers of lazarus) causing
> the error meassage to appear.
I think too, that it would have been better to keep a dummy package that gives
an error messages on compile with a hint why the package was removed and a hint
what to use instead. But it was the decision of the package maintainer and as
always in open source: You can be glad that the package was not simply abandoned
but rewritten from scratch and improved.

My note was meant constructive: What can the IDE do in a case, where there is no
trace of a package left?

And it was meant as a question: It was not clear to me from your mail, if you
have searched for the reason the package is needed and what you have done to
solve the problem.

> Being a developer does not mean that one searches out each and every
> item in an IDE and learns its use. I sure don't when I am just
> evaluating lazarus and fpc as a development platform alternative to
> Delphi...
What about searching only the items you use?

>[...]
> >Have you tried right click on the message and use "Search unit"?
>> No, I did not know about such a shortcut. Instead I located the
> project options and in CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles I added
> the path to the unit file that was missing.
> But I still do not know if this is the right place.
The documentation of these search paths might help here.

> It will probably only affect this project so it has to be repeated for the
> next.

That's why there are packages. Put shared units into packages. Then you need to
change search paths only once.

> I would have thought that adding a component to the IDE pallet would
> also make its location known to the IDE so it can find the file that
> corresponds to the dropped component when compiling....
No, that would easily result in name clashes and unportable projects.
Of course tools like the above also searches outside the scope of the project.
It does not yet search in all the packages on disk. That is on my todo list.

Mattias