[Lazarus] trying to enhance the lcl help file

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jul 20 11:24:21 CEST 2011

Hi help experts :-)

Graeme suggested that I should enhance the lcl help on QueuAsyncCall.

So I am trying to do so.

Of course I need to see what I did and thus Greame suggested that I
should install the new "DocView" online help for this from the current svns.

With Graemes helpI was able to install DocView as an external tool in
Lazarus.

I was able to create the *.inf files for "rtl" and "fcl" from the source
files found ion the svn.

I made an old lcl.inf file known to Docview.

Now with Docview in Lazarus I can see and search for "rtl", "fcl", and
"LCL - the Lazarus Component Library".

* - (it would be nice if "rtl" and "fcl" would show a decent header, as
well)*

I tried to create the lcl.inf file from the svn sources.

but I get this:
mschnell at mschnell-Linux:~/Downloads/svn/lazarus/trunk/docs/html>
./build_lcl_docs --outfmt ipf
Warning! No corresponding xml file for unit forms/forms.pp
FPDoc - Free Pascal Documentation Tool
Version 2.5.1 [2011/07/13]
(c) 2000 - 2003 Areca Systems GmbH / Sebastian Guenther, sg at freepascal.org

[#lcl.Controls.TAlign] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDockManager.InsertControl] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDockManager.SetReplacingControl] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDragManager] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDragManager.Create] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDragManager.RegisterDockSite] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid table content
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element:
"#text")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element: "var")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element:
"#text")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element: "var")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element:
"#text")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element: "var")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element:
"#text")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element: "link")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element:
"#text")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element: "b")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element:
"#text")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element: "b")
[#lcl.Grids.HowToUseGrids] Invalid description (illegal XML element:
"#text")
exception at 06C9C011:
Access violation.
This obviously is due to a bug in grids.xml.

So I renamed grids.xml and I can do build_lcl_docs:
mschnell at mschnell-Linux:~/Downloads/svn/lazarus/trunk/docs/html> mv
../xml/lcl/grids.xml ../xml/lcl/grids.xml_original
mschnell at mschnell-Linux:~/Downloads/svn/lazarus/trunk/docs/html>
./build_lcl_docs --outfmt ipf
Warning! No corresponding xml file for unit /grids.pas
(c) 2000 - 2003 Areca Systems GmbH / Sebastian Guenther, sg at freepascal.org

[#lcl.Controls.TAlign] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDockManager.InsertControl] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDockManager.SetReplacingControl] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDragManager] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDragManager.Create] Invalid paragraph content
[#lcl.Controls.TDragManager.RegisterDockSite] Invalid paragraph content
Done.
After a new checkout, something similar happens with lclintf.xml*

  - I suggest that someone more knowlageable take s look at grids.xml
and lclintf.xml*

This generates an lcl/lcl.ipf file (6.8 MB).

Now, trying to create the lcl.inf file, I get:
mschnell at mschnell-Linux:~/Downloads/svn/lazarus/trunk/docs/html> export
WIPFC=/home/mschnell/Downloads/svn/fpGUI/tools/wipfc/
mschnell at mschnell-Linux:~/Downloads/svn/lazarus/trunk/docs/html> cd lcl
mschnell at mschnell-Linux:~/Downloads/svn/lazarus/trunk/docs/html/lcl>
wipfc -i lcl.ipf
Open Watcom OS/2 Help Compiler Version 2.0beta1 Limited Availability
Copyright (c) 2010 Open Watcom Contributors. All Rights Reserved.
Source code is available under the Sybase Open Watcom Public License.
See http://www.openwatcom.org/ for details.
<lcl.:290250:20> Warning 53: Invalid tag nesting
<lcl.:290250:20> Warning 23: The tag, word, or command is not allowed in
this context
<lcl.:290256:20> Warning 53: Invalid tag nesting
<lcl.:290256:20> Warning 23: The tag, word, or command is not allowed in
this context
<lcl.:290328:1> Warning 53: Invalid tag nesting
Segmentation fault

* - What can I do to create an lcl.inf file, so that I can verify that
my future patches to an lcl help xml file do work  ? *

Thanks,
-Michael