[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : RE : RE :RE:RE:RE:FPC_REQUIRES_PROPER_ALIGNMENTdefinedonSolariscausescrashinlazarus

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Sun Jul 10 19:42:51 CEST 2011

> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qemu_and_other_emulators

Interesting.
I found that the qcow format is slowing installation a lot. The filesystem
spends more time growing the qcow disk than anything else. The raw format is
faster.

> But in the case of SPARC-on-Qemu you should be able to use VNC
> (specifically, Debian's vnc4server package), in conjunction
> with FluxBox
> as desktop/wm it's fairly lean and performs well. The machine
> in front
> of me is a (real) SPARC running Etch, thanks to your patches
> 0.9.30+2.4.2 are now running fine on it so there's a fair chance the
> same would apply to an emulated system; I'm in no great hurry
> to update
> this system to a later OS but am overdue for going round
> everything and
> getting onto 2.4.4.

QEMU comes now with an integrated VNC server. The problem is that the
OPENBIOS used for sparc supports only 8 bit or 24 bit color depths while the
debian suntcx driver doesn't support 24 bits. Leaves the 8 bit which lazarus
doesn't support. VNC doesn't change that.

> ARM is more of a problem since vnc4server is not ported to
> it, I believe
> that there are some ARM-specific problems in the VNC sources.
> There's a
> different server that does run on it (from memory,
> tightvncserver) but
> it appears to be hardcoded to expect the display manager to be xdm- I
> prefer gdm since it's the only one with a reliable XDMCP
> implementation.

The QEMU build in VNC server for arm works well but gives you the small
resolution of the versatilepb board.

> In either case you /should/ be able to connect to the system using
> XDMCP, e.g. using Xnest on your local system and gdm+FluxBox on the
> headless one, subject to your network setup since XDMCP is a
> UDP-based
> protocol which implies that broadcasts don't route well.

On both arm and sparc I'm using XFCE which is quite lean also. I noticed
very little difference in speed when running lazarus with X transported over
ssh (no windowmanager running on the guest) or running in a windowmanager.
The cpu time spent in ssh/sshd transferring the X packets roughly equals the
cpu time spent by the window manager dealing with them. The advantage of ssh
is the increased resolution/color depth. For the arm limited to 256M memory,
not running a windowmanager gives you also more precious memory.

> However at one
> time (I don't know whether this is fixed) Lazarus and some other apps
> performed very badly using networked X, my recollection is that the
> consensus was that there was excessive input-device polling.

I noticed that the small hints that pop up when you hover over about
anything are very costly. The cause a lot of painting and repainting.

I just uploaded another patch for syneditmiscclasses.pp. When you cut a text
in one unit and paste it in another unit a sigbus exception was thrown. A
char pointer cast to an integer pointer.

Ludo