[Lazarus] FPDoc tracker

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 17:41:10 CEST 2011

Martin schrieb:

> The 2ndary file could have a checksum of the node n the primary file.
> then it can check, if the primary file was modified. The checksum must
> be in a way, that ignores formatting, etc. (maybe even minor spelling
> fixes)

A "raw text" output (without attributes) would be helpful, in addition
to HTML etc. formats.

> Maybe easier, if the primary file has a version (for each node), then
> the 2ndary can simply store which version it currently reflects.
> - With changes to the primary, the user can decide, if it is a new
> version, or a spelling fix (version kept)
> - With changes to the 2ndary, the user decides, if the version should
> follow (or same as for primary, it was a spelling fix)

I've already tried to add according comments to the sources, but I doubt
that any contributor will maintain version numbers himself. A practical
solution IMO should be built into the editors (FPDocEditor, LazDE),
which store version information in additional XML tags, and increment
version numbers automatically or on confirmation (minor/major change) by
the contributor.

> As for the checksum, I have a similar idea/wish, for checksumming the
> source code documented, so one can find documentation which must be
> updated, due to source changes.

Sounds good :-)

Again the solution will require additional XML tags, and tools that
update this information.

BTW do there exist intentions to extend the XML files for e.g. multiple
languages? When all versions can co-exist in one file, it would be much
easier to track modifications, and to find consequently affected text.

I'm glad to see that it's not only me, who cares about improvements to
the documentation :-)

DoDi