[Lazarus] FPDoc tracker

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 22:06:28 CEST 2011

On 16 July 2011 21:52, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> *We* do, but nowadays nobody else knows Pascal.

That shouldn't really be an excuse. Pascal is so easy to read and
understand. Also if you can program in any other language, picking up
a new language isn't too hard.

> IMO the Pascal community
> will die with our generation, if we (and Embarcadero) don't find ways to
> recruit new members.

My son is 2½. As soon as he knows the whole alphabet, that's when his
Object Pascal and Test Driven Development training starts. Hey, I need
to recruit somebody to help me with fpGUI. ;-)

> The lack of translated documentation is a mess, and differing (outdated...)
> translated documenation also is a mess.

And that is what Michael meant with the community being to small.
Everybody is too busy with other things, and documentation is
unfortunately one of those very boring jobs.

> BTW, many people have problems with the wiki documentation as well.

I'll be the second person to agree with that. Offline help is
essential to me, searchable documentation is a must. And over the
years I became fussy - I now like well formatted documentation too.

> nobody can find relevant information without assistance. Content search is
> almost useless for non-English speakers, which don't know about the right
> keywords.

The problem is not only for non-English speakers. I'm an English
speaker, and struggle quite often to find anything on the Lazarus
wiki. Plus the other problem being that some wiki pages have become so
large and even covers multiple topics - so it's like searching for a
needle in a haystack.

  - Graeme -