[Lazarus] TTabControl reverted to it's old implementation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:41:41 CEST 2011

On 07/26/2011 08:05 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> widgetsets, i.e. the implementation of the basic behaviour of a tabbed
> control. The widgetsets implement a TPageControl, not a TTabControl, and
> it requires some more work to separate the excess (page related) code.

I remember when I started using Lazarus, some 5 or more years ago, then
already there was issues with the various tab/page controls. I'm at
least glad to see somebody is trying to address the problems now.

As for the TabControl vs PageControl vs NoteBook vs whatever Delphi
has... I understand [which might be wrong] is that the controls are
described as follows:

TabControl - this just paints the "tabs" part, and presents the
             developer with a OnTabChange event. There is NO "body",
             "panel" or "page" with this component. So there is no
             place to add components per tab.

PageControl - is a component that has the "tabs" part and an associated
              "page / panel" for each tab.

NoteBook    - I have no idea what is the difference between this and
              the PageControl. They seem the same to me. The only
              difference I could see is how you add more tabs. One use
              a string list property the other is a collection of
              page objects (I think).

Anyway, I don't want to get into the "battle of the tabs" with you and
Felipe. I just think, from a developer point of view, you need to take
your battle into a separate branch and fight it out there. Once a
solution has been agreed upon and the implementation meets the
Delphi-compatibility criteria, then merge it back into Trunk. But that's
just me thinking out loud.

If all underlying widgetsets (GTK, Qt, Win32, etc) don't have the needed
components to build the LCL on, then you guys obviously need to look
into writing a custom drawn component which will meet all the needs.

Isn't component development fun. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/