[Lazarus] TTabControl reverted to it's old implementation

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 15:48:33 CEST 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

> As for the TabControl vs PageControl vs NoteBook vs whatever Delphi
> has... I understand [which might be wrong] is that the controls are
> described as follows:
>
> TabControl - this just paints the "tabs" part, and presents the
>              developer with a OnTabChange event. There is NO "body",
>              "panel" or "page" with this component. So there is no
>              place to add components per tab.
>
> PageControl - is a component that has the "tabs" part and an associated
>               "page / panel" for each tab.
>
> NoteBook    - I have no idea what is the difference between this and
>               the PageControl. They seem the same to me. The only
>               difference I could see is how you add more tabs. One use
>               a string list property the other is a collection of
>               page objects (I think).

A PageControl logically consists of a TabControl and a NoteBook, this
IMO is the idea behind these 3 controls.

Then it also makes sense to have tabs only for selected pages, with
possibly more pages "between" two tabs; these pages have to be addressed
differently, e.g. by next/prev buttons on the pages themselves.

DoDi