[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : RE : Lazarus on Solaris 10

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 12:11:29 CEST 2011

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Ludo Brands wrote:
>
>>> One of the (few) other things I'm having trouble with is running
>>> gtk-demo, but I was going to leave detailed investigation of that
>>> until after I'd got compilation sorted out.
>>>
>>> No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
>>> library is not correctly configured. You may need to
>>> edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
>>> about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
>>> page and on http://fontconfig.org
>>>
>>> It doesn't exist- by default at least- on the Debian systems I've got
>>> here, so I've got little to compare the Solaris GTK setup with.
>>>

>> When you have installed fontconfig you'll have the fc-list command that
>> lists the fonts available.
>> On my system I have fonts in /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts with links from
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts. Check in
>> /etc/fonts/font.conf if the correct dir is specified. I don't have the
>> fontconfig command neither.
>
> fc-list run as myself (i.e. non-root) returns nothing. Run as root it
> returns a list of fonts. Run as root with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
> returns nothing. Think I've got a problem here...

The situation appears to be that there are two distinct fontconfig
systems, e.g.

/usr/bin/fc-list
/etc/fonts.conf

and

/usr/local/bin/fc-list
/usr/local/etc/fonts.conf

I can't simply do a hack like symlinking the two fonts.conf files
together, something's incompatible at a lower layer.

I'm going to check that  make bigide  works, but apart from that I think
it needs the involvement of somebody with more SPARC/Solaris experience
than I've got, e.g. whoever was asking about the availability of a port
on StackOverflow a few months ago.

It's not so much that I can't afford to put much more time into this
one, but that to have something manageable it needs to be predictable,
i.e. while installing a sequence of SFW packages is OK in principle it's
not going to benefit Lazarus if that breaks things, or if the result
still needs an indeterminate amount of tweaking before it works.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk