[Lazarus] Determining OS

Chris Kelling kellingc at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 17:30:16 CEST 2011

Thank you for the suggestions so far -

$ lsb_release seems to give good information, my Fedora 15 machine returns

LSB Version:     :core-4.0-ia32:core-4,0-noarch

In addition, I did a ls of the /etc directory and found a file called
system-release-cpe,  Looking in it says cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:15

Now, this may be unique to fedora (isn't open source wonderful?), but if all
distros have that file, I think that may be the solution,  I've got an
ubuntu machine running, too - I should look to see what it has.

Say what you will about the windows registry, but at least there's a common
place to look for and put information.  And no, I don't want to start a war
over the merits of one OS over another, just trying to make my program
portable to the most machines with the least effort for the end user.

  _____